Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 20 (Recovery Day 6)

My skin is definitely getting less red. But that may not be not good news! In fact, I'm worried that my dermatologist stopped me too soon. After the inflammation phases, there is supposed to be an "erosion" phase in which the damaged skin peels, scabs, or is otherwise destroyed. I don't see much evidence of any of that. So far I've seen one small spot of blood on my left temple, some peeling on the bridge of my nose, and increased itching all over, which may correspond to skin flaking under the vaseline. Here's what I look like now:






I'm thinking that if the AK on my cheek is still visible after the overall redness goes away, I'll ask my dermatologist if I should try again but go for 3-4 weeks. If the cheek AK appears to be gone, I might apply Efudex to just that area for a week or two. If the area "lights up" again, that would indicate that the damage is still there. I could try the same thing on a part of my scalp to see if the AKs up there are really destroyed. It would be pretty sad if I went through this for nothing because I stopped too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment