Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 15 (Recovery Day 1) - Ouch!

This was the first day after stopping the Efudex and, as others have noted in their experiences, felt (and maybe looked) worse than while I was still applying it. Vaseline really helps manage the burning, but looks pretty bad. This is what I looked like at work and at the viewings for my mother-in-law at the funeral home. I hope that I was at least a walking advertisement for using sunscreen.

Face one day after stopping Efudex
Covered with Vaseline to ease the burning one day after stopping Efudex

Left side of face one day after stopping Efudex
Those rosy cheeks burn the most. They feel hot to the touch.

Right side of face one day after stopping Efudex

I carried around the container of Vaseline because if any areas started to dry off  - usually my cheeks - they would start to feel like they were on fire. And the red skin really is hot - when I placed my palms against my cheeks to get some temporary relief, the skin on my cheeks felt  hot to my palms. By the end of the day, I was reapplying the Vaseline every hour or two. And cold air felt SO much better that I walked outside of the funeral home a few times to cool off my face and get some relief. I also have never enjoyed taking the trash can down to the street as much as  tonight. The cold air blowing across my face was WONDERFUL!

I'm really hoping that things will start feeling better in the next few days. I'll probably ride my bike club's 200K in two days. (Same route that I rode as a checkout last weekend.) The cool air in the morning should feel good on my face, as long as the helmet doesn't hurt too much. Just have to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment