Friday, April 13, 2012

Four weeks and done

I kept applying the Efudex to my cheek twice per day for four weeks, which ended a week ago. When I did it 4 months ago, I only applied it for two weeks, which didn't seem to be long enough. This time, I got about the same reaction in the first two weeks -- the skin turned very red and peeled in a few places. There wasn't as much additional change in the second two weeks as I expected, although there were a few spots that started to ooze blood, especially an area right below my eye, and there was extensive peeling. During the week since I stopped the Efudex, the bleeding areas have scabbed over and the the other areas have continued peeling. The peeling is much more extensive than when I only used the Efudex for two weeks, and it is easier to picture that it is actually shedding the layers of sun-damaged skin cells.
18 days of Efudex
4 weeks - Last day of Efudex

One week after stopping Efudex
This second application on my cheek seems to have achieved the reaction that most people describe. I think my dermatologist is just too conservative when she recommends only two weeks and says that it is done when it turns red. Other users, and even the official web site for the Efudex product, talk about a treatment of 3 to 4 weeks and a "destruction" phase when the skin ulcerates and peels. In any case, I will probably do another "Efudex experiment" after my next derm appointment at the end of June to see if the cheek reacts to a third application. If the sun damage is really removed, it shouldn't react so strongly the next time!

4 comments:

  1. Hello, have you tried efudex the third time? Was it different from the second one?
    I am on day 13 right now, on one hand I want to stop the treatment, on the other I want to be completely cured. My appointment is tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Efudex again last year, so it had been 7 years since the blog post. I got a similar reaction to the last time. My dermatologist again said that two weeks was enough. I intended to go for 4 weeks, but stopped after three because the discomfort was starting to wake me up at night. By the way, I found since then that the product Aquafor is good to help moisturize and reduce the burning feeling (after my face got burned for real by a gunpowder explosion).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, your posts are very detailed, informative and well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clear & helpful. Two questions 1) Re. your last treatment in 2019 , after 7 yrs, do you think that the sun damage treated then related to the interim period or might it have been residual/dormant damage missed in the 2012 treatment? 2) Your decision to 'go it alone' was brave and, correct, as photos of left cheek show. Did your derm express any reservations about a second treatment so soon after the first two week treatment-eg toxin build up?
    I am currently on day 22/28 and finding it tough, particularly the sleeplessness, and hope I can finish next week. Many thanks again.

    ReplyDelete